Indie Labels Band Together for “Fair Digital Deals Declaration”
More than 700 indie labels, including Merge, SubPop, and Matador have come together to sign the new “Fair Digital Deal Declaration”. The Worldwide Independent Network (WIN) wants the initiative “to treat their artists fairly in agreements relating to digital exploitation of artists’ work in recorded music agreements with third parties.”
Today (July 16) is Worldwide Declaration Signing Day. When the companies sign the deal, they agree to these 5 rules:
1. Ensure that artists’ share of download and streaming revenues is clearly explained in recording agreements and royalty statements in reasonable summary form.
2. Account to artists a good-faith pro-rata share of any revenues and other compensation from digital services that stem from the monetization of recordings but are not attributed to specific recordings or performances.
3. Encourage better standards of information from digital services on the usage and monetization of music.
4. Support artists who choose to oppose, including publicly, unauthorized uses of their music.
5. Support the collective position of the global independent record company sector.
For more on the Fair Digital Deals Declaration, go here.
Google Acquires Songza
Google announced they have acquired Songza, a company that offers curated playlists.The service will be used to enhance Google Play Music. At this time, there are no plans to alter Songza. It will be used with both Google Play and YouTube.
Since Apple purchased Beats Electronics, Google has been looking for a deal. The company reportedly offered to purchase Songza for $15 million, though the final figure has not been revealed.
For more on the deal, go here.